Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Be near

I have read this passage at least 30 times in the last 24 hours - for some reason it is hitting me at my core...I can't get it out of my head. Read it slowly and soak it in...

God's Longing
To the listening ear I speak, to the waiting heart I come. Sometimes, I may not speak. I may ask you merely to wait in My Presence, to know that I am with you
Think of the multitudes, who thronged Me, when I was on earth, all eager for something. Eager to be healed, or taught, or fed. Think as I supplied their many wants, and granted their manifold requests, what it meant to be Me. To find amid the crowd, some one or two, who followed Me just to be near Me, just to dwell in My Presence. How some longing of the Eternal Heart was satisfied thereby.
Comfort Me awhile, by letting Me know that you would seek Me just to dwell in My presence, to be near Me, not even for teaching, not for material gain, not even for a message--but for Me. The longing of the human heart to be loved for itself is a something caught from the Great Divine Heart.
-God Calling


My goodness....how often do I find myself seeking the Lord for answers or a Word, or a message rather than just seeking to be near Him? It's no different than the friend who only calls you when they need or want something from you - it's hurtful and it's frustrating...why am I to think that God is any different? It's all part of the relationship with God - learning to be His friend and to seek Him as my best friend...any relationship is give and take, it cannot be one sided or it will ultimately end in bitterness and resentment. I think that this has been the shift in my spiritual journey lately - as I have truly desired just to sit with Him, and not ask of Him...there is great peace in just being His friend...giving Him time and companionship - the reward is much more than I could have ever asked for. The desire that is rooted in us to be loved unconditionally and completely for who we are is born directly of God's own desire to be loved, not for what He can do for us, but for who He is...for it is said that we are made by Him in His own image.

Lord forgive me for the times that I have sought the gifts over the Giver - renew in me daily the desire for Your company and friendship above all else. I seek to just be near You, to rest at your feet and to just dwell in who You are...b/c who You are is more than enough for me and simply dwelling in the mere fringes of Your presence is enough to fulfill any need or desire that bestows my heart.

No comments: