Friday, May 26, 2006

Insurance 101 (Friday boredom)


I'm really not wanting to work today...and it's rare that I ever don't want to work so bad that I actually stop. You know it must be bad.
So. Given the recent string of really, really challenging and at times fascinating people I have dealt with this week and with all of this spare time that I have (that's a joke for those of you who know anything a/b my job) I thought I would put together a little list to help educate the general population about insurance. Here goes...
.
1. If you are at home and a pipe suddenly breaks gushing gallons and gallons of water into your home:
*Do: Turn the water off. Call a plumber. Call Service Master. Then call your insurance company.
*Don't: Watch it. Leave to go and get help (while the water is still running). Try to dry it out with your old trusty box fan from '89.
.
.
2. When you put a pan of grease on your stove:
*Do: Cook something in it...Preferably pancakes, eggs or bacon please.
*Don't: Walk away to take a load of laundry out of your dryer (on the next floor), go out back to 'fire up the grill', turn on the wrong burner -- honestly, you'd be better off not owning a stove.
.
3. If you come back from smelling the laundry and there is a blazing fire in your kitchen:
*Do: Use a fire extinguisher to put it out...or maybe just leave. Call the fire dept.
*Don't: Pour water on it. Attempt to beat it into submission with a kitchen towel or any other flammable object for that matter (I've never understood the logic there). Hang around to watch it burn.
.
.
4. If you are a homeowner and you see a water stain in your bedroom ceiling:
*Do: Call a plumber to check your plumbing. Call a roofer to check your roof. Fix the ceiling...
*Don't: Ignore it for 11 months, until one day you walk in and your entire ceiling collapses and there is now water and mold and all kinds of healthy stuff all over your bedroom floor...
.
.
5. If you are relaxing at home in front of the fireplace and decide it's time to go to bed:
*Do: Put the fire out (in the fire place). Make sure you close the front guard before leaving.
*Don't: Take the fire wood in the fire place (that was just burning) and put it back out on the wood pile so you can 'use it again later'. Brilliant.
.
.
6. If you live in a Condo and the person above you has a pipe leak, water heater leak, toilet overflow, dishwasher leak etc...and your home is damaged:
*File your own claim - your buddy upstairs isn't responsible for your damage just because it was their pipe...they aren't psychic, with the amazing ability to predict exactly when that pipe is going to break and then decide, that just to be spiteful, they aren't going to do anything about it...it was an accident - call your condo association.
.
.
7. If you have a loss (property or vehicle) that isn't your fault:
*Yes, you still must pay your deductible - and in case you are part of the population who wasn't aware - you do have a deductible...
.
.
8. And now for a real (boring) FYI: roof leaks damaging the interior due to old age, wear and tear and poor maintenance are usually not covered under a property policy, ask your agent a/b it, sometimes you can add endorsements to add the coverage...it's not usually standard.
.
.
Oh and one more very important one...Your insurance adjuster does NOT get a bonus or a raise for screwing you out of money on your insurance claim...I promise.
.
.
Hmmm, that's all for now...there are so many more, but they are probably only funny to me, so I'll spare you the pain. Anyway - haven't had a random post in a while, thought it was due time...and hey, I've always got the time to dedicate to the education of others about insurance and it's many complexities ;) Just call me Captain Insurance...
.
okay, okay...back to work - happy holiday weekend to everyone! Be safe and blessed! The Lord loves you and so do I!!!!

No comments: