Saturday, January 21, 2006

Tempting...


I'm taking an evangelism class right now and I'm really loving it. Today's lecture had an interesting point in it that I've been chewing on for a few hours now, and it's gradually building up some passion in there...



"Do not wait for your flesh to crave or desire holiness in times of tempation...it will not want it!"

Aha...it's so funny to think a/b times we are tempted - and somehow we expect our flesh to cry out for holiness in that moment - well, it's called a temptation for a reason and chances are, your flesh will desire the object of that temptation far more than it desires holiness. 'For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want' (Galations 5:17). No, we must desire holiness always so that in times of temptation we can choose to be holy. By the time you've reached the temptation it will require a congnitive choice and effort made by you to walk in holiness. Don't be so naive to think that if you pray about it and the temptation comes you're spirit is just going to kick into overdrive and make your flesh choose the right path. NO, it's going to be hard and it's probably going to suck, but it's an act of self discipline.

The term 'Godly person' was once defined as a person who is self-disciplined in Godly attitudes and habits. 'Self-disciplined' really caught my attention there. It's not God disciplined, or spirit disciplined - it's self disciplined. God can show us what to do, He can give us the user manual, but we must discipline ourselves to follow it. Of course that's not easy with all of the outside stimulus of the world beating us into conformity. Everything a/b the Christian life goes against traditional society. We ought to be looked at as weird, outside the box...that's right, b/c we shouldn't be like the rest of society! We are called to be different. 'Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind'(Romans 12:2). That is speaking to every aspect of our lives, the places we go, movies we watch, our words spoken, actions towards others...all of it. And friends it is an act of self-discipline to become different. If the temptations didn't feel good, smell good or look good they wouldn't be temptations...the simple act of obeying and laying down those things that we hold dear is the greatest act of worship we can offer our King.

It's time to cut the crap, drop the excuses and start acting in ways that reflect who we are and what we were called to be. I am called to love those that challenge me, not gripe about them. I am called to be selfless, not consumed by my own desires or well being. I am called to humility and service, not to self promotion or laziness. In one way or another I struggle with all of these things and so much more. It's my prayer that we will all find a new awareness of the ways in which we still conform to the world we live in - and then break it off.

Being more like Christ - a goal I fall short of time and time again but a desire that is so deeply rooted in my spirit that I'll never stop trying. Search my heart Lord and make me sensitive - let me not wait for my flesh to catch up with the desires of my spirit, but act on what I know your will is in my life.

No comments: