
Just to set the mood, let me paint a little picture for you. I'm in a small meeting today discussing some of the issues in the office and what we can do to resolve those issues etc. There are 6 of us sitting in a small conference room (picture office space here) around a big long conference table with notepads, pens and coffee in hand. My first 'are you serious' moment, to my surprise, came within minutes of sitting down. The first topic at hand was the 'air quality' of our floor (??). It seems that some are not confident in the safety of our 'air quality' and fear that we could be being exposed to excess allergens which could be leading to the high rate of sneezing and itchy/watery eyes throughout the office - what the crap?! From there we moved on to the lack of competant printers in the office (again back to Office Space please), evacuation proceedures for our department and the kicker people, switching the movie theater tickets we get on our birthdays from United Artist Theater to AMC...are you serious? It's note worthy to mention that this meeting lasted for more than an hour and was held with a straight face by all. As I sat at the table pondering the catastrophies of bad air and old printers I was struck with the ridiculousness of the entire situation. I mean please, I can think of a dozen things that are more important, like 'hey, when you die, where do you think you're going to spend eternity'? I've realized the difficulty of functioning in day to day society when you have kingdom life on your mind - it all seems irrelevant in the grand scheme of things - I just want to look at these people and ask them if they know their saviour. Do you know your Lord? Do you know He loves you? Do you know that he DIED for you?!? So that you could sit here and complain about supplies and late hours? So that you could be clean and spared from death?

Last week we prayed over the city of Dallas from the observatory in the big ball downtown. It was a phenomenal evening - praising the Lord, repenting for our city and yet, I found no joy that night...instead what I found was grief and anguish. Never before have I experienced such a deep grieving as I did when I stared out the window at that millions of lights and the cars and buildings thinking - there are so many people here, so many people, and how many of them know you Lord? How many of them are walking in death and darkness, without even realizing it?! Lord, how do we get to all of them? How do we show them? The answer there is that obviously we can't, but He can...and He will faithfully show each of them the gift at hand in His own time. The acceptance of that gift is up to them.
So - back to printers and air quality - it just seemed so absurd that I had to share. I'm sure that the humor I found in the situation would have to be experienced to fully be appreciated, but hopefully you can feel my agony of having to sit through it :)
No comments:
Post a Comment